Monday, July 18, 2011

summer who?

so apparently summer has decided to skip visiting us here in the Northwest this year. I do not accept this, so I am behaving as if it is summer time anyway.  I am wearing summer dresses and sandals and drinking frosty beverages.  As always, cold beer and iced tea top my list of favorites, but this year I am taking it even further and have introduced iced coffee on a daily basis (how have I lived this long with out it?!) and also, since I am fancy, I juiced a watermelon. That just happened.
I got my iced coffee recipe here, from the Pioneer woman.  It is called perfect iced coffee, and I totally, completely agree. The only thing I do different is use 1.5 Cups of coffee grounds and 8 cups of cold water, this is a more manageable amount for me.  I have a big jar steeping on the counter right this second.

My other discovery is watermelon juice.  The jury is still kind of out on this one, but I want to play with it a little and think it could be a big winner.  On this, my first attempt, I cubed the watermelon, put it in my blender and whooshed it up until it was (wait for it...) juice.  Then I put the entire batch through a filter and it made beautiful, rose colored liquid.  I used one baby watermelon, juiced half of a lime into it and added some simple syrup.  I just can't seem to get on board with less is more, so into my own glass, I decided to add some elderflower concentrate (sounds fancy, but I got it at IKEA) and 7Up.  The resulting drink was lovely, but interesting.  I think maybe watermelon lemonade would be delicious, and also maybe using the watermelon juice for frozen pops would be something the kids would love.  Watermelon mint?  I don't even love watermelon and I can't stop thinking about it.  Watermelon juice tastes just like summer.  I miss summer.

1 comment:

Alison said...

Oh, lookie here... another comment from ME!
And it is just this:
Come on down here where it's WARM AND SUNNY! OK, HOT AND SUNNY!