Monday, July 25, 2011

a good muffin is hard to find

I love to eat good food. Love it. (obviously)  Muffins are one of my favorite breakfast choices, but it has to be the right muffin.  It has to be moist, and not too chewy, the crumb has to be right.  It can't be a costco or Spunkmeyer muffin (which aren't really muffins at all, just small dense cakes with no nutritional value).  I am kind of a muffin princess.  I have a fall back muffin recipe that I have modified to be just right, and I use it a lot, but I was looking for something more.
Yesterday, I found a new recipe.  I didn't really hold out much hope, but I made it anyway since we needed breakfast for a crowd.  The result is my new favorite muffin. Oh happy day! (probably other girls don't get as excited about breakfast breads. they haven't had this muffin.)
make these now.

One bowl oatmeal muffins
plan ahead to make these as you have to soak the oats for a bit. It's worth it.
makes 12 muffins (doubles great)
1 cup milk (I use almond milk)
1 tsp white vinegar
1 cup oats
1 egg
1/4 brown sugar
1/4 cup melted butter (or coconut oil)
1/4 cup applesauce
1 cup plus 2 Tbsp flour (I use half whole wheat)
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla (or almond, depending on your mix ins)
mix ins of your choice (I like coconut and mini chocolate chips) but you can use 1/2 cup of anything you like

combine oats, milk and vinegar in a large bowl and let sit 1 hour for rolled oats, 15 minutes for quick oats. (they will absorb most of the liquid)
Preheat oven to 375*, grease muffin tins or line with papers.
Crack the egg into the oat mixture, add sugar and mix to combine.  Stir in butter, applesauce and vanilla.
Stir remaining ingredients into the bowl: flour, salt baking powder and soda.  Gently fold into batter, careful not to over mix. Really, this will ruin your perfect muffin. Don't do it.
Fold in your mix ins.  Fill muffin cups 3/4 full, (I like to top with some coarse sugar before baking, I like the sweet crunchy top) bake for about 15 minutes.  The tops will be golden and the tops will spring back when touched.

You're welcome.

1 comment:

Erika said...

oooh...can't wait to try!