Tuesday, May 6, 2008

viva Mexico!

we LOVE Mexico, the food, the people, the atmosphere, the food, the drinks, well that about covers it, we love it all, especially every bit of it. Yesterday was the 5th of May, no big deal around here (unless you need a reason to celebrate-which of course we always do!) so we got all international and turned it into cinco de Mayo. (this is not an original idea, they actually have the 5th of May in Mexico every year and it is also called cinco de Mayo, however, not a huge holiday there as we like to think it is, mostly Americans just like to drink coronas and tequila and think they are all diversified--which by the way I think is great, so we participate) The budget for the week has been going really well (a little surprising actually) and I had a few pesos left so I bought a box of tecate (cheap Mexican beer--this is the authentic way to celebrate-real Mexicans don't really drink corona, they just triple the price and sell it to Americans--actually in Mexico we like to drink XX or modelo--but hey, this is a tight budget remember) and made taco soup and tortillas and we had a feast.
(sorry for all of the run on sentences-it's just that I get all excited when I talk about Mexico, and I can't help it)
My parents are actually in Mexico, and have been there for some time now, I'm trying not to get nervous that they won't come back. I think they are due back tomorrow, so I'll let you know if they show up, or if I have been left an orphan (not that I could blame them, but still). next issue:

We had a big day yesterday, on the 4th of May, Maggie wasn't potty trained, but yesterday, on cinco de Mayo, she was. Dry diaper all day, even pooped in the potty (I KNOW!!!!) I'm thinking it might be a magical day--there was enough money for beer, and I didn't have to change any diapers........she was even dry last night and woke up dry and is still dry this second. This is a big deal because we've been working on this for quite some time. Her game has been to ignore me, play with me, do what she wants anyway, pretend she doesn't get it, make a mess, sit on the potty for 40 minutes and play and then pull up her dipe and pee in it-you know, pretty typical stuff I think, but very tiresome for mama. And then--yesterday, that was that. Could this be for real do you think--is it crazy to hope? Her new game is to hop up there, toot and demand a chocolate egg (payment for deposit), she gets all irritated when I tell her it doesn't count--I'm tired.
Big birthday week for my family this week. I have a few friends with birthdays too, but it is both of my grandparents birthday--my sweet grandma is turning 80-WOW, she is one hot granny (I will absolutely get busted for referring to her as granny) I can't believe she is holding up so well, now that I think back on all of the shenanigans we put her through in our younger days, add that to raising my dad and his brother and I think she is possible a miracle herself. My grandpa is not far behind, and my little sister is turning 23 (I think). My family is headed down to California this weekend to celebrate together, and I am jealous. To celebrate without them, I am going to drink from the box of tecate and sprinkle grass seeds into dirt in a celebration of life ceremony--haha. Ok-really I just have to plant my lawn and am hoping there is a beer or 2 left, in case the sun is out and it is warm.
But is is mothers day and I have requested veggie dogs and tater tots, so I am excited to think I may get just what I ask for. A good rule of thumb is to keep it simple and cheap (dollar store choices are the best) and you can count on getting what you want. Today is the last day of my first week of the budget and I have stayed well within my goal, so this weekend I get (are you ready for this?) to pick the movie from the redbox, a foot massage, take out dinner, and a bubble bath-woohoo-I AM a princess! I can't wait for Friday.

and now, since you've been so patient--I give you:
Janina's taco soup (carnivore recipe)
1 onion chopped
3-4 carrots, chopped
4-5 celery ribs chopped
1 red bell pepper chopped
1 can of mild diced green chiles (not jalapenos)
4 cloves garlic pressed
1lb raw chicken breast cut into small pieces (OR NOT)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp chili powder
3 cans of chicken broth (or veggie or water)
1 lg can diced tomatoes
1 can beans (I like black)
2 cans refried beans (or just one for a thinner soup)
top with your choice:
grated cheese
avocado
sliced olives
green onions
chopped cilantro
sour cream

get out your big pot, and put some olive oil in the bottom. Put the first 7 ingreds in there and cook it up for about 5 minutes or so. Dump in the seasonings (I sometimes sub taco seasoning-it is easier and comes out yummy) add the tomatoes, broth and beans. Simmer 1 hour (or whatever) you may have to squish it up with your potato masher if the beans are clumpy. Break up tortilla chips into your bowl and pour the soup over the top, and top it with your choice of above. (the important part is in bold-let's be honest, you could serve up a bowl of those and it would be great, so don't skip this part)
We LOVE LOVE LOVE this recipe, it was stolen from Sarah, and is a fave in all of the local kitchens-it is yummy and easy and cheap, and you can't screw it up-yay! Enjoy!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Hmmm. . sure looks alot like my taco soup recipe. . but hey, we can call it Janina's taco soup recipe. . whatever.

Sarah said...

Oh, I see you made a note that it originated from here. Thanks. Wouldn't it be funny if we really got upset about recipes? Was that how it was in the June Cleaver era? You know, I actually lifted the recipe from my aunt's friend Kaye. Big shout out. Thanks, Kaye. Hey-thanks for the Tecate, too. It was mucho yummy-0

janina said...

I plainly stated that it was stolen, when you steal something-it is yours-hence Janina's taco soup. (you called it tortilla soup, so I tweaked the name a little too-which is plenty to stake a claim on--just saying...)

janina said...

also--added the bell pepper, forgot to mention that-it is extra tasty in there, and since we always have some--in it goes!