Tuesday, May 22, 2007

mmmmm...gnocchi

this is the recipe for gnocchi (which I made for dinner tonight). If you make this, you are pretty much guaranteed to get anything you want for the next 24 hours (give or take). With Alan, the gnocchi high lasts for a couple of days, so I try to schedule accordingly. Take for instance tonight; I wanted to watch American Idol, which is not his favorite show (gross understatement), but now, thanks to the magic of gnocchi, I get to watch it guilt free (and don't even have to put out!!--sorry Grandma, but it's true)
Good luck to you, should you try to make it, it is well worth the effort.
ps, this is adapted form some issue of a Vegetarian Times magazine, don't know when, and from henceforth, just understand I don't make recipes up, they are stolen and modified, and I will never give appropriate credit to the contributer. (this is because I am lazy--please read as "creative", but not because I am a thief, which I am not)

magic gnocchi

3 lb. russet potatoes (about 4 medium)
2 cups flour (calls for all purpose, I used whole wheat)
1 large egg lightly beaten (I used egg sub, 1/4 cup)
1 tsp. salt (or a bit more to taste)
1 tsp. pepper

1. preheat oven to 400*. Prick potatoes all over with fork. Bake until soft (about an hour for large potatoes). Cool until easy to handle.
(get your large pot of water on to boil and salt it good-do it now)

2.Slice potatoes in half and scoop out potato goodness into a large bowl. Squish with a fork until no lumps remain, but still fluffy. Fold in flour, egg, salt and pepper. (here's the good part) you have to use your hands, this is so messy, but the only good way to get it all incorporated. (plus they are magical, it's worth the extra effort)

3. You will have a thick dough. Pull off bits and roll them into snakes about 3/4 inch thick. Cut the snakes into (about) 1 inch pieces. Do this with all the dough.

4.When the water boils, toss the gnocchis in a couple of handfuls at a time. When they float, they are done. (this only takes a minute or two) Scoop them out with a slotted spoon, and toss in the next batch. As they get done, I put them into a casserole dish. When they are all done, I cover them with garlic butter and top with Parmesan cheese and broil them for a few minutes until they are golden delicious.

Serve these bad boys with some fresh hot rolls or bread and a nice salad--then sit back and enjoy. know that this process takes a couple of hours from when you prick the potatoes until you eat the gnocchi, so start early.

psps, if you don't eat animal products, I make a sauce from garlic and non-hydroginated margarine, when it melts, I salt and pepper it, and add some nutritonal yeast. I toss the gnocchi with this and then stir in lots of "cross your heart" vegan cheese. Vegan cheese is wierd, it has a problem being part of other things, so you have to convince it. I brown the top, then stir and brown, then stir and brown...etc, etc, etc. until you are happy, then serve, this takes much longer, but is super tasty and a passable cheese sub.


(ok mom, how whas that?)

No comments: