Saturday, May 26, 2007

Look Out

we have a little piece of property, and when we moved here, we got a riding lawn mower. Alan has always been in charge of the lawn (because he wants to be) and I never thought to question it. Every weekend during the nice weather, he would change into "play clothes" and say (in a tone lacking any enthusiasm) I'd better go get the lawn mowed (or something to that affect). For about 3 years I believed that he was taking a big one for the team by doing this horrible chore to keep our place looking good. One day, when I couldn't stand being cooped up with the kids one second more--he happened to be on his way out to mow. I said, you know what? I'll do anything to get out of here for a while, you watch the girls, I'll go out and mow today. The smile fell off of his face, as he took me out to show me the ropes.

Did you know that a riding lawn mower is like a little go cart? Fast forward 3 years to today, and I mow every chance I get. (which is the field mostly, because Alan says I don't get the stripes right on the lawn--whatever, I prefer plaid) It was the first mow of the season-yikes. We usually hire it out, because the grass is taller than me. (not tall for a human, but really tall for grass) For some reason, we decided to mow this year (I don't ask questions, I just get on the mower) Alan is hesitant to let me mow for numerous reasons (really there are tons) but he's a good sport about it. He has to stay outside when I'm mowing because I kill the mower so much, or get it stuck in a hole or mud pit--today I made it billow smoke, not once, but twice before I burnt the belt off, and killed it for good. I think maybe it wasn't really even my fault, and now Alan gets to go to Sears, which is his favorite store in the mall. I was almost finished too, only a few laps left and I would have been done (except for a little finish work around the edges and whatnot). The next mow will be much better, I'll have that brand new belt, the grass will be shorter and I won't have to do the whole field in 2nd gear (second gear is for grannys or babies with training wheels--I HATE second gear) Alan said 2nd gear is best when the grass is taller than me. Hmmmm....maybe the belt would have lasted a little longer if I wasn't rally racing around the course (field) when he wasn't looking. Oops! I can't help it, that sucker is like a little go cart!

1 comment:

Belinda said...

Okay, I am making my request now that I have the chance to mow your lawn in July when we are there. After all, you will need it nice and short for blochtoberfest the following weekend. Just don't tell Rob that I want to do it b/c he will tell Alan not to let me mow. i've messed ours upo a few times, but who's counting. Love the blog!
Belinda