Monday, June 27, 2011

what do I say?

Layla had a high blood sugar, it was a reminder that it is new site day.  She peeled the Tagaderm off of the old site, and a layer of skin with it, leaving an open wound. Bleeding.  We had to discuss new site placement, which is always hard.  She cries to plead her case.  "Please Mama, not my belly. It hurts when the needle goes in, and it hurts every time a drop of insulin pushes through." Her nose is running now, and she is wiping tears. I am strong. "Maybe my leg." 
I move aside the fabric of her skirt to find a place that would work.  One leg still has a raw red spot from the last time she had a site there, and the other leg still has an angry, open hole from a previous site that she has been bothering.  It itches, and hurts, and without thinking, her hand goes to it.  No good spots here.  I try to stay strong.
Her arms are so thin that there isn't good placement, even though she doesn't mind them there.  She doesn't have any body fat, so she is building up lumpy tissue under her skin from being pierced so many times in the same, delicate area.  Arms are not a choice this time.
We are running out of options, her body is small.  I finally decide on the placement, she disagrees, we push on.  She cries.  They are strong, quiet tears. The worst kind.  Her body is shaking when I place the set. My strength is wavering.  She asks why she has to have diabetes.  I don't have an answer for her. I never do. I pet her hair and bite my lip. It's time for bed.
I just heard her ask Alan as he was tucking her in, " how do we get it out?"  She wants the disease out of her body.  My dad has cancer, she has heard us talk about him getting it removed.  He will be ok.  She wants it out. She wants to be ok.  She doesn't understand. There isn't an answer. There isn't a cure. I can't fix it.  
She is so brave and strong.  We fake it, we make it look easy. But it is hard.  We don't want to let it get us down.  We don't want you to have to know what it's like. We don't want to be different.  We don't want to be afraid, but we are.   My heart breaks a little every single day.

1 comment:

The Man's Trophy Wife said...

Ugg ... diabetes sucks, this made me cry, love you all, keep up the good work, Little and Loud - go team!