Tuesday, June 26, 2007

time flies

I have had two separate requests today for new blog postings, so here I go again..... I'm not sure what I've been busy doing exactly, but it seems like I haven't even sat down for days. I have about 7 quiet minutes coming, as the girls just got tiny "snack packs" of little cookies, so I thought I'd indulge my public with a quick word. Hmmmm..where to start. Friday was a bit hectic, we had some blood sugar issues. Layla's blood sugar was so high, it wouldn't register on her meter, so I had a tiny nervous breakdown, but we got it back under control (finally) and were able to keep a pretty good control of it through the weekend. The weekend was great, we did lots of errands. Translation: we got a few things done, but spent most of our time getting the girls in and out of their car seats at various, random stops, (mostly home improvement type stores) by which time they were cranky and/or bored and decided to cry/kick/scream the entire time we were inside trying to accomplish said "errand". We did get through the day though with a little help from a few of our favorite modern conveniences, namely lots of snacks, and the car DVD player. (however if I get hit in the back of the head with one more cheerio, or hear the "I love you" Barney theme song one more time, I might just actually run out into traffic) *now, a paragraph break for my mom.*

We did however somehow manage to pick out our exterior paint for the garage, and Alan also got an overflow drain system put in behind the garage, so we can hopefully avoid any nasty flooding issues like we experienced last rainy season. So, all in all, I'd say a successful couple of days. Of course, since we spent our weekend focused on getting our painting done, it had to rain on Sunday, but Monday the sun came out again, and we got some primer up-yay!!!

Today, we had some people over to quote us new siding on the house, and they mentioned that we don't need to prime our new garage siding. (as we say around here...that would have been good information to have had YESTERDAY!!!) But, lucky for us, we happen to be rolling in both time and money, so it's really no big deal.

Yesterday I made a mighty tasty dinner, which I got from the back of the Quaker quick barley box, and modified it, it is now known as "South West Barley Beans" and I will include the recipe right here:




South West Barley Beans

Any/all of the following veggies
(or add your own favorites)
Carrots, celery, onion, sweet pepper, cut into bite size pieces
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (about 14-16 oz) jar salsa (the green Trader Joe’s salsa is good)
2 cups veggie broth, or water and bullion cubes
1 cup Quaker quick barley
3 cups water
1 Tbsp. Chili powder
1 tsp. Cumin
2 cans of beans drained and rinsed
2 cups frozen corn
Chopped cilantro
(optional) Toppings: olives, avocado, corn chips, salsa etc..
In large pot combine veggies and first 7 ingredients. Over high heat bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beans and corn, increase heat to high and bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low, simmer for another 5 minutes, or until barley is tender. Top with topping if you’d like. Enjoy!
This makes a ton and it is delish!! (it was even better the next day)
About 15 carbs in ½ cup





We are scrambling this week, I have 2 days left before we leave on a jet airliner to sunny Sacramento California, and I am getting pretty nervous. We have to leave the house at about 5am on Friday, we are travelling with 2 kiddos, and will be carrying numerous "banned" items, so will be cavity searched by the 17 year old TSA agent after he confiscates my shiny new lip gloss; did I mention this is all before 6 o'clock?!? (at least I might get cavity searched, I was beginning to think there was nothing good about flying anymore!) Then, we are gone for 9 days (WOW!!) so no new blogs until then at least, (but probably longer, our summer schedule is CRAZY). When we get back we are hosting my cousin Belinda and family (you're practically famous if you get a blog mention-awesome) and Blochtoberfest is the very next weekend. PHEW! In between the scheduled events, I hope to drink my weight in (light) beer and possibly hunt down a high school friend I haven't seen in a good dozen years, and talk him into tattooing me. (I will let you know how it goes) So, I'm off, wish me luck in surviving the 100+ degree weather of Cali. and keeping the kids afloat in the pool all week (not to mention, covered with SPF 50 sunscreen). We will also be attending my great grandmothers 95th birthday party, we are all really looking forward to it. My advice to you would be, if you ever get invited to a 95th birthday party, be sure not to miss it, the honoree is bound to be full of wisdom and insight, and has seen and done things that would put most Hollywood dramas to shame.

Hate to run--I really enjoy our time together, but alas, my 7 (ok 30) minutes are now up, and I have to get back to something or other I'm sure.

No comments: