Tuesday, June 5, 2007

busy doing nothing

At her job recently, a friend had to write down what she did in 30 minute intervals, to see where she could be more productive throughout the day. The other day, my cousin's (lovely) husband came home after work and asked her what she did all day (she's a work at home mom). This prompted me to look at my own day, as I always feel exhausted around 4 o'clock, but can't for the life of me think of anything productive I have done.
This morning, here's how it went: Praise Him-the girls let me sleep until 9am. (ok, not sleep actually, Maggie was licking me and pinching me all over for almost an hour, but I was still in bed) Then I hopped up, jumped in the shower, and got dressed. I changed a diaper and got Maggie dressed--Layla has decided that she prefers not to get dressed usually, so I fight it or not, depending on the day--today-not. Then I wrangle them into the kitchen, sounds easy, but actually takes 10 minutes. It is now about 9:40--not bad. I get them started with small bowls of soy yogurt while I cook (on the stove-yay me) multi grain cereal. I flavor it up with some brown sugar and raspberries, and we get to eat. (10:15) After multiple wipe ups, a new diaper and yet another change of clothes, Maggie is done. Layla finishes up, injection time, load the syringes, tackle the young one and poke her a few times--it is now 10:33. I need some coffee. The girls head off to play make believe which today includes being Mommy and baby and drinking "flower petal" water. (??? I don't ask) I then start on dinner, as it has to refrigerate a while before baking tonight at dinner. Tonight we are having broccoli/ veggie sausage and "ricotta" calzones, with home made dough (am I nuts?) Step one, sprinkle the yeast into the bowl of warm water and set it aside for about 5 minutes for it to bloom. (yes, definitely nuts) These look great, but it took a while, it is now 1:00. If you are familiar with our schedule, you know that I need to start lunch now, because we need to eat and have our next injection about 1:30. I'm getting tired already. So, today so far, I have cooked 3 hours and 15 minutes, and I need to get going on lunch---then later I have to bake dinner for an hour and we still have 2 snacks and cleanup.........Hmmmm....this keeping track thing is really getting it in to focus for me. "What do you do all day?" honestly on a good day, I would say "as little as possible", when the sun is shining, we eat cold cereal, have a pb&j and a quick dinner outside. But in reality, when I look at the facts, I cook, clean and deal with poop, it's not glamorous, but it's all mine. I am done recording for now, hopefully later I can sit down and read my book for a bit. Probably I should fold laundry, but it can wait, and I'm tired. As far as being more productive, I'm not sure, there's no doubt countless things I could improve on, but I'm happy just getting through the day with a smile on my face. (or not crying at least)

No comments: