Monday, January 16, 2012

getting shit done (or what else vodka is good for)

Today I made my own deodorant. I have been buying one I really like on etsy for a while and wanted to make my own. I googled her ingredients and found a recipe (that I love). This works amazingly well, has all natural ingredients, and will keep you smelling sweet. yay! It is a pit cream, you have to put about a pea sized amount on your finger and rub it into your pits. It is not an antiperspirant, (you have sweat glands there, they have a job to do, let them do it) it just helps you to remain fresh smelling, whilst your amazing body is doing it's job.

natural pit cream

1/2 Cup coconut oil
3 Tbsp. beeswax (or cocoa butter)
3 Tbsp. baking soda
1/4 C arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)
3-4 drops essential oil (I used about 8 drops of lavender, clove and tea tree are also nice-all are antimicrobial, but please be careful with essential oils, they are very concentrated and can be harmful if not used correctly. Start small, less is more)

melt coconut oil and beeswax in pan. Whisk in powders. Add essential oils.  Pour into container of choice. (this will make about 1 cup of cream, mason jars work great!)

AND

Layla bought me a 1oz atomizer of lavender spray at the farmers market this summer when we were in Cali. I have been using it as a body spray and just love it. I am getting more and more sensitive to scents, and can only tolerate the lightest natural scents anymore. I just ran out and made my own replacement.

Lavender floral water

I used one cup of water and one cup of dried lavender blossoms. I boiled the water and then added the flowers, and let it steep. (think lavender tea) I let it mingle for a few hours,strained it through a coffee filter, and added a few drops of lavender essential oil.  Next, I added a Tbsp. of vodka. (the essential oil and the alcohol are preservatives, so it won't get funky on me) I refilled my atomizer and am good to go! The liquid I ended up with was probably about 1/3 cup, so I also got a 2oz refill bottle full from this one batch. I will keep the extra in the fridge to extend it's life.  This is a beautiful spray, light and grassy, it doesn't wear or last like perfume, but that is great with me.  It can also be used as a sheet spray or room spray. Love it!

1 comment:

Alison said...

One word:
W-o-W
You never cease to amaze me.